4 chicken thighs
4 chicken drumsticks
1¾ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon fresh‐ground black pepper
1 onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
½ cup bottled pimientos, drained
1⅔ cups drained and rinsed black beans (from one 15‐ounce
1 cup rice, preferably medium‐grain
1¾ cups water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
⅛ teaspoon cayenne
4 lime wedges (optional)
In a large, deep
frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat.
1. Season the chicken with ¼ teaspoon of the salt and the
pepper and add to the
2. Cook, turning, until well browned, about 8 minutes in
4. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan.
5. Add the onion to the pan and reduce the heat to
6. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5
7. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds longer.
8. Add the tomatoes and pimientos, scraping the bottom of
the pan to dislodge
any brown bits.
9. Stir in the beans, rice, water, parsley, the remaining 1½
teaspoons of salt, and
10. Arrange the chicken on top in an even layer.
11. Bring to a boil and simmer until all the water is
absorbed, about 12 minutes.
12. Turn the drumsticks and reduce the heat to very low.
13. Cover and cook until the chicken and rice are just done,
about 15 minutes
Serve with the lime wedges, if using.