1. Prepare the cake:
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric
mixed, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
2. In another large bowl, sift together sifted flour,
nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves, allspice, ginger and
salt. Slowly add sifted dry ingredients to the butter
mixture alternately with the applesauce, Mix well. Stir in
walnuts and raisins.
3. Pour batter into a greased 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Bake
in a preheated 350-degree oven until a toothpick inserted in
the center of the cake comes out clean; about 1 hour and 15
4. Remove cake from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
5. Make the frosting: In a heavy-bottomed, medium saucepan,
bring butter and brown sugar to a boil over medium-high
heat, stirring constantly, Boil, stirring, for two minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the milk. Let cool until just
warm to the touch.
6. Stir in confectioners' sugar cup at a time. Mix until